In late 1923, at a Politburo meeting of the Soviet Government, a question on the revolutionary leader Vladimir Lenin’s embalming, who’s health was getting worse every day, was raised. And by the time of his death in January 1924, the first mausoleum had already been erected out of wood on the Red Square.
It was designed by famous Soviet architect Alexei Shchusev in the shape of a square base, headed with a pyramid. In spring 1924, two side-stands were added.
In 1925, however, an all-Soviet contest among architects was announced to see who could come up with the best mausoleum project for Lenin.
According to the contest rules, the project had to include an inside hall with Lenin’s body and an underground hall for a museum; on the walls, there should be decoration based on the revolutionary themes and the life of Vladimir Lenin. The mausoleum also had to match with the Kremlin walls and the Red Square. The mausoleum was in the end to be an “impressive sight” and be “the center of attraction for all eyes”.
However, in the end, the commission decided to adopt Alexei Shchusev’s version
The first (temporary, wooden) building was opened January 27 1924, near the Senate Tower of the Kremlin in Red Square. This building was a truncated step-like pyramid with two L-like structures with staircases adjoining it at two sides. Visitors descended the right staircase, moved along the three sides of the sarcophagus and exited by the left staircase.
Two months later the temporary wooden Mausoleum was closed, and the construction of the new wooden Mausoleum began and lasted March through August 1924. The new Mausoleum was a large (9m high and 18m long) truncated step-like pyramid, now the staircases were incorporated into the general volume of the building. To ensure longevity of the wooden elements, they were treated with oil varnish, and as the result, the color of the building was strict light brown. The tension bars, doors and columns of the top portico were of black oak. The wooden siding was fastened with forged nails having large figured heads.
Five years later, the construction of the stone Mausoleum began (July 1929 - October 1930). In plan, the stone Mausoleum is practically the same as the wooden building. Visitors enter the main entrance and descend the left 3m wide staircase (the walls are faced with labradorite) into the memorial hall. The hall is cubic in form (face length is 10m) with a step-like ceiling. A wide black labradorite band with red porphyritic pilasters on it runs round the periphery of the hall. To the right of the pilasters run the bands of black polished labradorite, with zigzag bright red smalta strips between them.
The mausoleum contains a vestibule, Mourning Hall and two staircases. Opposite the entrance is a huge granite block that was carved with the coat of arms of the USSR of 1923.
Two stairs are leading down from the vestibule. The left staircase is three meters wide and takes visitors down to the Funeral Hall. The walls of the descent are of grey labradorite with a ledged panel of labradorite and black labradorite. The Funeral Hall is a ten-meter cube with a stepped ceiling. A black labradorite band runs across the entire room, on which pilasters of red porphyry are placed. Next to the pilasters are bands of bright red smalt and to the right of the smalt are bands of black labradorite. This combination creates the effect of flames and banners flying in the wind. In the center of the hall is a black pedestal with a sarcophagus.
The upper stepped slab of the sarcophagus is supported by four inconspicuous metal columns, which gives the impression that the slab is hanging in the air. The lower slab is covered in reddish jasper. The sarcophagus is made up of two inclined conical glasses, which are held together by a bronze frame. On either side of the sarcophagus are the battle and labor bronze banners, which appear satiny due to the special illumination. In the headboard is the coat of arms of the USSR framed by oak and laurel branches. At the foot, there are branches twisted with ribbon.
Visitors move along the low podium around the sarcophagus from the three sides, exit the memorial hall, ascend the right staircase and exit the Mausoleum through the door in the right wall.
Constructively, the frame of the building is reinforced concrete; the walls are filled with brick and faced with polished marble, labradorite, porphyry, and granite. The length of the Mausoleum facade is 24m, the height 12m. The top portico is shifted toward the Kremlin wall (in the wooden Mausoleum, it was shifted to the front facade). The Mausoleum pyramid consists of five projections of different height (in the wooden building they were six).
===
Lenin Mausoleum [ Architecture Enthusiast ]
#ArchitectureEnthusiast #LeninMausoleum #AlekseyShchusev #Constructivism