The Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm Center in the district Mitte in the district center of Berlin unites the Central Library of the University Library of the Humboldt University of Berlin and the Computer and Media Service (CMS) of the Humboldt University Berlin . The building, named after the Brothers Grimm , opened on October 12, 2009.
With around 2 million volumes, it is the largest library collection in the German-speaking area available in free-standing format. In addition to the old central library, there are twelve former branch libraries of humanities and cultural studies as well as social and economic sciences . The other nine branch libraries and the university archive remained in their previous locations in various districts of Berlin.
It is a ten-storey building by the Swiss architect Max Dudler , the main floor space is 20,296 m². At the heart of the library is a unique reading room which is 70 meters long, 12 meters wide and 20 meters high.
The Grimm Center holds a total of 2.5 million volumes, of which around 2 million volumes are available in the freehand lineup. In addition, there is a small cafeteria , video conferencing rooms , an auditorium with approximately 180 seats and eight group workspaces, as well as 55 individual work cabins. A total of 1,200 workstations are available, of which around 500 are equipped with computers.
The University Library of Humboldt University exists since 1831 and was housed in 1910 in the premises of the State Library in the immediate vicinity of the main building of the University. Initially, the library was only temporarily home there, but no other building was ever found. As part of the renovation of the State Library, the University Library had to move out there in June 2005 and it was decided to build a new building.
Over time, the University had formed in addition to the Central Library a variety of branch and sub-libraries. The GDR began to centralize these libraries and establish a one-tier library system that was maintained after the fall of the Wall . In 2003, the Branch Library of Natural Sciences was created on the natural science campus in Adlershof by merging the book collections of the departments of mathematics , physics , computer science , chemistry , geography and psychology .
The same was planned for the Central Library: this was merged with twelve branch and sublibraries of the humanities, cultural and social sciences as well as economics. In the middle of 2004, after years of searching, the location was chosen. At the beginning of 2005, the architectural competition was completed and at the end of 2005 the first preparatory building measures began. The official groundbreaking ceremony took place on 22 August 2006. The building was opened on October 12, 2009.
'https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob-u...