BALBRIGGAN LIGHTHOUSE
This is Ireland’s second oldest active lighthouse, after Hook Head. In 1762 Baron George Hamilton had a limestone pier constructed and the lighthouse was added in 1769.
From here, corn and timber were shipped out to Liverpool and beyond. The lighthouse was classified as a sea light until in 1860 the newly established Rockabill lighthouse relegated it to the status of harbour light. By the 1960’s, corrosion had damaged the dome beyond repair, and the decision was taken to remove it. The fixed light was replaced by a flashing unit mounted on a column.